Are you looking to build a WordPress Website?
It may seem an overwhelming task if you’re just starting out and don’t know its technicalities. You might be having several questions in mind at the beginning.
Don’t worry, in this simple and easy WordPress guide, we are going to cover each essential step to make an impressive WordPress website.
So if you want to make your first website, we’d recommend you read this post till the end.
Note: In this step-by-step guide for making a WordPress website, we are assuming that you don’t possess coding skills and therefore, you won’t need to code while making a website following this guide. However, if you need additional assistance then you can contact our experts.
Before we start creating a WordPress website step-by-step, here are answers for some common questions that most beginners have in their minds
What is WordPress?
In simple terms, WordPress is a Software or Content Management System that enables you to create and publish your website on the internet.
It is an open-source platform that means WordPress is absolutely free to use. It is considered the easiest and the most flexible software to create beautiful websites without necessarily having the coding skills.
WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org
It is one of the most confusing things among beginners about WordPress. WordPress.com and WordPress.org are actually two different platforms with a key difference of hosting.
You can use WordPress.com if you want to create a free blog/website that will be hosted on their servers. But, here are some facts you should know about WordPress.com:
- You can only use a subdomain, for example – yourdomain.wordpress.com.
- Websites built on WordPress.com can’t be monetized with ads.
- Your website could be deleted anytime if WordPress thinks your website is violating its terms and conditions.
- WordPress.com can use its own ads and branding on your blog/website.
- You can’t install additional plugins to optimize your website functionality or can’t upload themes other than available on this platform by default.
With WordPress.org, you can create a self-hosted website that will fully be owned by you. You can choose a domain name of your own choice and select a preferable hosting provider such as HostGator or GoDaddy.
WordPress.org software offers you thousands of free plugins and customizable themes that you can use to create a website that matches your taste and requirements. You can also monetize your website with ads and start making money from it.
What do you need to build a website?
Learning how to make a website on your own will save you a lot of money on web developers and designers. But, how do you do that? What exactly you will need? Well, initially, to set up your own WordPress website, you will only need these things:
- A domain name – the name of your website.
- Hosting service – this is where your website data and files will be stored.
- At least 1 hour of time with complete attention.
So, here we go. Now you have answers to some basic queries and it’s time to explain to you the easy process of making a complete WordPress website step by step.
Video Tutorial for Making a Website with WordPress
Are you more comfortable with visuals than text? Then we have covered you with that as well, as you can check out our video tutorial on YouTube for making a WordPress website.
Don’t like the idea of video and need complete information in writing, then go ahead with this guide.
Step #1. Buy a Domain Name and Hosting
Have you decided the name your website? It’s probably the most interesting aspect of building a website and equally important as well.
Here are a few tips that will benefit you in selecting the right domain name for your website:
- If you want more people to remember your website’s name, it’s suggested that you keep it short and simple.
- Use keywords to boost SEO. For example, if you’re a salon owner, you may include the ‘salon’ word in the domain and something in its prefix/suffix. It will impact your website’s rank positively and define your brand well.
- Avoid using numbers and hyphens in the domain. They are always hard to remember.
Choose the right domain name extension. We’d recommend sticking to the very popular “.com” extension for your first site.
You can buy a domain name that will typically cost you between $9 and $14.99 per year. Want to buy a domain name for free? Read on!
Once you’ve purchased a domain, the next thing you should look for is the best hosting package.
Note: For starters, buying a domain name and hosting may sound like a complicated task but there is literally nothing to worry about. You won’t need to do it every now and then until your domain or hosting plan expires. In that case, you just need a renewal of these services.
There are numerous web hosting companies you can choose for domain and hosting. We have experience of building websites using various hosting platforms like Hostgator, Bluehost, A2Hosting, etc.
We’d recommend you to buy a hosting plan from Hostgator in which you will also get a free domain name for one year. You can get up to 70% off on their hosting plans.
Although there are many website hosting providers that offer fast, reliable, and affordable hosting plans, we recommend HostGator for their outstanding customer support and 99% guaranteed uptime. We have built a number of websites using their services and find their services precise and satisfying.
Step #2. Install WordPress
Installing WordPress can be as easy as installing an application in your smartphone. Feel relaxed, because it doesn’t require coding or prior WordPress knowledge.
Follow the steps below:
1. Just log in to your cPanel Dashboard and find “Softaculous” option or “WordPress”
2. Click on “Install” WordPress option and fill up the Installation Form.
3. Once WordPress is installed successfully, you will be provided a WordPress Login URL something like this: https://www.yourblog.com/wp-admin
4. Once you will visit this URL, it will ask you to enter your username and password of WordPress admin. This is the same login credentials which you have created in Step 3. Your WordPress Dashboard will look something like this:
5. That’s all easy to install WordPress.
Isn’t it a simple process? Now in the next step, we are going to explain to you how to install a Theme.
Step #3. Select and Install a Website Theme
WordPress themes are professionally designed templates that dictate the visual appearance of your website or blog. The best thing about making a website with WordPress is that it offers plenty of free themes that are easy to customize.
When you install WordPress, it comes with a default theme that looks something like this:
It doesn’t look very appealing and with a few clicks, you can pick a different theme that best matches the design you’ve already envisioned for your website.
• Login to your WordPress admin dashboard and click on Appearance >> Themes, then click on the ‘Add New’ button given on top.
• On the next page, you can select from over 4,000 free WordPress themes that are available in its directory.
• Select your favorite theme and click on ‘Details & Preview’ to know how it will work and look after installation. Then you can click on the ‘Install’ button given under your selected theme. In the following example, we have selected the Hestia theme.
After installing the theme, you can customize it as per your requirements by clicking on the ‘Customize’ link under the Appearance menu. You can optimize your site’s basic settings like its background color, fonts, and layouts in this section.
However, it’s better to design it once you have created content for your website so that its content and design resonate well with each other.
There are thousands of themes in the official WordPress directory meant to fulfill the needs of different types of websites. If you’re not sure which theme is ideal for the type of website you need, you can check this collection of the best free WordPress themes.
Step #4. Install Plugins
Plugins play a key role in adding functionality to your WordPress website. They make it easy to add complicated functions like Contact Forums, Shopping Cart, Sliders, Social Share Buttons, and more. For beginners, plugins eliminate the need for complex coding and allow them to add or improve existing website functionality.
There are basically three ways you can install plugins on your website.
- Install via WordPress Dashboard (easy/beginner)
- Install via SFTP (intermediate)
- Install via WP-CLI (advanced)
As it is a beginner’s tutorial, it’s advised that you follow the first method of installing plugins via WordPress Dashboard.
You can do this by clicking on the ‘Add New’ link under the Plugins section of your dashboard. Type the plugin name in the search box in the upper right corner.
For example, you can type “Yoast SEO” in the search box and then click on the ‘Install Now’ button to install it. It will be installed within seconds and then you can click on ‘Activate’.
That’s it. The plugin is now installed and activated and you can check it in your dashboard. In a similar fashion, you can add other necessary plugins as well.
Step #5. Creating Pages
The next step is to add some basic pages to your site. You can add as many pages as you want. But if you haven’t determined how many pages you need on your website yet, you can add some important pages as of now which are common on most sites. For example:
- About Us
- Contact Us
- Gallery and others.
Follow these simple steps to add pages to your WordPress website:
- Find Pages menu in the Dashboard and click on Add New
- Add Page Title in the Page Editor (e.g. About Us)
- Add some Content on your page
- Click on Publish if it’s all ready or click on Save Draft to save your page as a draft
Now you have almost a website ready to showcase to the world. Hope you have learned how to make a website, add themes and plugins to it, and how to add pages.
No matter which guide or tutorial you follow on the internet, honestly, if you’re a beginner you will need a professional’s assistance at one step or another. So if you find yourself stuck at some point, feel free to leave a comment or send us your query.